My Thesis (First Post)

11:26 AM Marcellino DAmbrosio 4 Comments

            I thought it would be appropriate for the first post of this new blog to declare its purpose and its place in the world. I'll start with this. So many conversations I’ve had in the past year have followed this template:

Me-“So do you do anything artistic?”

Her- “um…. Well, I used to paint.”

Me- “What happened?”

Her- “I’m not sure. Just work I guess.”

This is just the saddest thing in the world to me. Our generation has been raised with our lives set out before us. We are told:
            “Follow your dreams! But only if those dreams are to go to school, get good grades, and be a respectable doctor or a lawyer, and then get married, live in a quaint little suburb with a white picket fence, have two kids and a dog, and then die.”
            - Our Society
And so we put away our love for beauty and our zest for life, we hand over all of life’s spontaneity in return for the keys to a new Mercedes and bank full of debt. It is no coincidence that C.S. Lewis portrayed hell as one sprawling suburban neighborhood in which everyone was constantly moving further and further away from one another. It was always cloudy, always rainy, and the roofs as solid as a screen door. Our lives are set before us, but in the end, it is a sad, grey life full of loneliness. Thus, this blog’s purpose is to awaken the child with us who dreams of greater things, with faith in our creator.
 In order to accomplish this, I will tell humorous anecdotes from my life (greatly exaggerated for your amusement and education), share poems and pictures and artwork, and all the beauty I see in life.

I hope that what I have to share will be appreciated as well as fought over. In the next few weeks, you have these themes to look forward too:

How you can literally say ANYTHING if you act like a foreigner, and how to get away with it.
How a little girl threw coins at me and how it changed my life.
How sports are ruining America, and Ave Maria University along with it.
WORST saint quotes of all time.

I will end with a favorite quote of mine that I hope will be a starting point for our symposium:
            “Prudence is a rich ugly old maid courted by incapacity.”
                                                                                    -William Blake

-Marcellino D'Ambrosio

You Might Also Like

4 comments:

  1. Awesome. I'm looking forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! I love reading people's thoughts. I expect nothing less than great laughter and thought provoking statements from you two. With that being said, remember what our middle school english teachers taught us and don't stray from your thesis.

    ps-are those cowboy boots on your feet marcellino??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed they are Sarah! Are you impressed?
    - Marcellino

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can give you two answers (take your pick):

    1. I love cowboy boots! I would wear them all day everyday if I could, so yes indeed, I am impressed.

    or

    2. I am not a fan of any clothing/shoe options that may deal with rounding up cattle and bailing hay, but yet, still impressed.

    ReplyDelete